Friday, March 1, 2013

My Goal On Days Like Today

Frankly, I woke up in a bad mood today. I want to snap at people and just be crabby. I want to crawl back in bed and not get up until tomorrow. In the vernacular, I don't wanna do nothin'.

My goal on days like today, and any other day really, is to never let this little girl know that I'm frustrated, never let it crack through. I smile at her, I coo, I laugh and make her laugh. Yes, when I want to just take five minutes to myself and sit on the couch it makes me wince that she drops her bottle for the hundredth time and I have to go help her out. Yup, a part of me wants to crack a little bit.

But she'll never see that if I'm doing my job right. I marshal my face, I smile at her, I laugh, I give her her bottle back while stroking her hair, soothing her back to restfulness as she rocks in the swing. She doesn't know that daddy just wants to lay down, just wants to sleep for a little while. All she knows is that daddy is there for her, doing the right thing and making her happy.

She smiles at me.

And suddenly it's all worth it.

1 comment:

  1. We all have off days, and parents are human, too. You're doing a GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete