Monday, October 1, 2012

No, You Can't Hold My Baby

I've been told that I'm selfish and I think the ladies who have told me this may be right.

The moment Lois cries or has some kind of issue while in somebody else's arms I swoop in and politely "offer" to take my baby back in order to help soothe her and get her to relax. She could be across the room and the moment the fuss happens I'm over there, having covered the intervening distance in less time than it takes to blink an eye.

More than that, if I walk into a group of people who want to coo over the baby I will show them the baby while holding her. Apparently the expectation is that I'll just give her up and allow her to be passed from person to person. But she's my baby! You can't have her! Unless you ask really nicely and prove that you've washed your hands recently. Then I might let you hold her. Maybe.

The only real problem as I can see it, honestly?

I do the same thing to her mom. This has earned me more than a few hard glares.

-----

Our little girl is smiling and cooing a lot now. She's becoming a little person with a full range of emotions beyond "I'm hungry," "I need changing," "I'm tired," and "I'm totally not letting you have sex." Now she seems to be expressing happiness and curiosity! It's an amazing transition.

So now it's "I'm hungry," "I need changing," "I'm tired," and "Hahahah! Wasn't it funny when I was crying a second ago so that you couldn't have sex? Now I'm happy."

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand this impulse. But I also itch to hold babies when they are around. So I am sympathetic with those who wish to hold her.

    And it's so lovely when they start becoming little people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sympathetic to the plight of people wanting to hold my adorable little girl and after a bit I do actually allow them to do so. It just takes a bit for me to get to that point and then woe betide the person who has her when she starts crying; daddy to the rescue!

      Delete